I just completed the transition back to plain Jekyll from Octopress. There are a few reasons for this change:
- Octopress was broken in a way that I couldn't resolve.
- Jekyll has been seeing a ton of activity lately, and I like those features.
- Octopress doesn't support any kind of modern Jekyll.
- Conversely, Octopress hasn't seen much activity in a long time.
- Octopress' templating standards is very compliated and indirect, and has frustrated me in the past.
I did spend some time trying to make a newer Jekyll work with Octopress, but it was hard and I kept running into new problems.
I was able to pull much of the code that I did appreciate from Octopress' Rakefile into my own. So, for now, I feel like I am able to take advantage of the things I liked about Octopress.